Saturday, September 17, 2011

Markets, Mexican & a musical

We went into London for the day again yesterday. Left a bit later than last week, and by the time we took 3 underground trains to Camden Town it was already something like 11.30am. I LOVE the Camden area, it's so funky and really different from inner London. We explored the market and the stalls along the way; Janet & I both bought dresses for about £12... I tried mine on last night, it is so tight across the chest I honestly don't know who it could fit. But we'll see how we go.

Alex & I had come to Camden when she was here so I sort of knew it, and I took the others to the foody area along the river/canal, where you fill a box with whatever Japanese/Indian/Chinese you want for £4 or £5. I got a vegie burrito this time with chickpeas on the side; so filling, I was not even hungry by the time dinner came around! Anyway, so we sat in pretty much the same place Alex & I had, on the edge of the river then explored the smaller market area there. I finally bought a belly ring! I haven't taken my original out since I got it done almost 2 years ago, and I'm a little scared to in case I can't get it back in.

We headed over the road where there were more of the same food places plus lots of (semi) permanent places selling cool things. We came across 'The Stables' which you would've loved Dad, all these horse statues at the entrance to another market-y section. I'm kinda regretting not getting a pair of round tortoise-shell sunnies but oh well.

We took the tube straight to Leicester Square to find out about shows. Most of the good discounted ones were sold out (we need to go much earlier next time) and we ended up with tickets for Jersey Boys.

We sought out a Maccas to make use of a free toilet and a place to relax for a bit, then Janet went to find a park to sleep in again & we went off in the direction of the Tate. While walking to Green Park for the tube station, we turned into Regent St instead of continuing down Picadilly (sounds like a Monopoly game, hey?) and decided we couldn't be bothered looking at art and just felt like a wander. The buildings in this street seemed extra big and grand (forgot to mention, I didn't have my camera as all my memory cards were still full from Summer, but it wasn't too bad, just a little lighter than usual!). We stopped in Zara just to see if they had anything more than the High Wycombe store, then in this big toy store called Hamleys, as they had all this Harry Potter stuff in the window. The main attraction was that they sold all the characters' wands, with or without illuminated tip.

We turned up Carnaby Street, which was a bit quieter than being on the main road. We needed a coffee break so we found an expensive-ish cafe called the Garden Cafe, which we thought would have a garden out the back. It didn't but our hot chocolates/teas weren't too bad.

We headed back to Chinatown to meet Janet for dinner. Apparently the place they ate at last time for dinner was disappointing, but we ended up next door, and not even sure what ethnicity it was. I just had a soup which was nice and a little bit of Caitlin's huge fried rice (poet right here). Then we went on a search for the theatre, the Prince Edward. Greer left to go back and we sat in the bar for 20 mins or so until the doors opened.

I can't quite work out if or how much I liked Jersey Boys. It was definitely different from other musicals, as they didn't just burst into song to tell the story, they only sang songs as actual 'performances' like in their real life story. I also hated the main guy's voice, I know it's meant to be high but it was just so harsh. I'd like to know if Frankie Valli's voice was actually that unlikeable. I was bopping along by the end of it though.

We headed back as soon as it finished and got back just after 11pm, then went straight to bed.

This morning I was half planning to go for a run but I was just so exhausted I stayed in bed till 10.30am. I started work at 12.30pm, and the afternoon's activity was decorating flower-shaped photo frames, which are going to hold portraits of the girls I've been taking over the last few days. We haven't done much else, but now we're watching Megamind and eating popcorn (Caitlin brought me back some chocolate popcorn from Tesco in town which I discovered the other day when Janet & I went to see Friends With Benefits). Tomorrow we head to a safari park, so that should be good, even if exhausting.

No comments: