Saturday, January 8, 2011

We've met most of the girls now - some are still yet to arrive. They're all very cute (like most 7-11 year olds) but a bit intense sometimes. After just a few hours on Wednesday night after meeting the majority that are here now, Caitlin and I were exhausted.

Normally I would get Thursday mornings off but because it was our first morning, I worked anyway. We basically wake the girls up, get them dressed and go down to breakfast (toast, cereal and sometimes something else). Then they come back to the houses, get all their stuff and head off for school. We put laundry away and stuff like that and then we're free till 3.30pm. We went down into town on Thurs to go to the supermarket and finally show Janet around a bit. The weather was pretty horrible though. Forgot to mention, we saw SUN and BLUE SKY in London before we left, it was truly amazing.

In the evening, we had some of the girls read to us for 'prep' (homework) and they're really good. I'm not sure they're all taking in what they're reading but at least they can read the words. Again, exhausted by bed time.

Friday is the day off for all the boarding gaps, although Janet had to work yesterday. Caitlin and I got up early for breakfast; we went a bit later than the girls and were told we had to be earlier next time but the kitchen staff were really nice and let us come get some food anyway. I'm trying not to eat too much every meal, but I think it's in between meals which is harder. Dessert comes with lunch rather than dinner, sorry 'supper', which is probably a good thing: we can work it off more before we go to bed. Don't worry, Mum and Dad, I've been having at least some salad with every lunch/dinner.

Anyway, so we went up to the gap flat, we were going to go into town again to get onesies - £10 at Primark, all the girls have them - but the weather was too crap. So we ended up watching Freaky Friday, and being all upset at how cool Lindsay was back then, "what happened", etc etc. We got din dins with the school gaps then we all headed back up to watch Just My Luck (more Lindsay). Our plan to go and hit the town on our first Friday night clearly didn't happen either, we were all just tooooo tired! Hopefully the weather permits next week though :)


This morning (Saturday) we - Miss Parker (Caitlin), Miss Peters (Georgie) and Miss C.T. (me) - ran some 'gap games' for the girls. A couple of rounds of pony express, octopus, kick ball rounders and bang - had to end with a drama game). I felt like I should have actually done more exercise, although we are doing a looooot of walking - there are stairs everywhere; walking up the hill from town; we also walked about 6 hours straight on New Years Day, going to the museums then walking around them and then back to the hotel. I'm wondering when my legs are going to start looking and feeling amazing because it hasn't happened yet. After our games, we got lunch then went down to the Swan Theatre for a pantomime of Peter Pan. It was so good, the main guy was really funny, and I don't think I've been to a pantomime before so it was just a new experience. I think they said it's a traditional English thing. Plus I now have my first ticket to stick up on my notice board. Afterwards, Aisling, Georgie, Izzy (started last September, really nice) went to Maccas and the Pound Shop. I thought it would be like a 2 dollar shop back home, where most things are actually $10 but literally, almost everything is £1, some are cheaper, and some are £2. Definitely my kind of place. All the cosmetics are either German or French but still, Clearasil for £1! Also got some junky food but I'll try and ration it! Oh! There are these delicious savoury things here called Hula Hoops, they kinda taste like Pringles but they're small tubes. So good!

Izzy and Aisling got a taxi back up the hill but G and I stuck it out and it was only about 10 minutes of steep uphill so we felt good. We are relying on each other to always want to go for a walk.


I don't know how I manage to write this much about a very boring couple of days, apologies. Also, because my posts are so long, I haven't been proof-reading them. If there are mistakes please tell me :)

1 comment:

aurora said...

georgie may get blog comments but your blog is the one i've saved a shortcut to on my internet page... so now everytime i open the computer your name is at the top reminding me how much i miss you...


biatch write more entries!!! i'm dying over herexxxx