Thursday, January 20, 2011

Edit for last post: it's not 'The Pound Shop', it's Poundworld! Don't know how I could make that mistake.

Sorry for the lack of updates! When we finish work at 9:30pm we're all pretty exhausted and just want to go straight to bed and during the day which we have free, it doesn't even feel that relaxing, probably because we know we only have a couple of hours till lunch and then a couple of hours till we start work again. We've been filling the middle of our days with basic chilling, watching movies and watching from the beginning How I Met Your Mother on Janet's laptop. Legen... wait for it... dary.


So the Sunday after the the Saturday when I wrote my last post, what did we do? I had Sunday morning off, and all the boarders went to the church. I will probably go one Sunday with them just to check it out - apparently the inside is gorgeous. Sunday afternoon, I helped the girls make papier mache plates which was good fun, although the whole room was a MESS by the end. Newspaper, glue, tissue paper everywhere.

During the day on Monday we went to Primark and Poundworld again. Spent £40 in Primark after trying on about 15 things. They have bra and undies sets for £5! Didn't get any though. What I did get: 3-pack of undies for £1, a sheer black shirt with white dots for £10, black skinny jeans for $8, a light pinky dress with horse print on the bottom half (can't really explain) for £6, and a grey top/dress with Lady Gaga-esque shoulders for £6. Janet and I also got this cute black jumper with jeweled shoulders to share for $15 but discovered it has a couple of holes so still need to take that back.

On Tuesday I went into London about 11am and met up with family friends from Melbourne. I was a bit early because I got to the station early to get my 16-25 railcard (so exciting) for discounts on all trips, but luckily Jan, Evie and Elise were also there and we headed off on another couple of trains for the Victoria & Albert museum. As I had to get back to Godstowe by 3:30pm we didn't have too long so we headed straight to the tea rooms. Which were so beautiful. I promise promise promise I'll add photos really soon because they were actually so pretty, huge light balls, stained glass, etc. I got a Greek feta wrap and helped to get rid of a huuuuge meringue, literally the size of a small plate. And what does big meringue mean? BIG sticky bit inside. Definitely ate more than my fair share of that. We wandered to the gift shop and then walked back to a different station, stopping in Harrods on the way. The Princess Di memorial thing in there is kinda sweet but basically just really tacky. So then we all went back to Marylebone and said goodbye after a few photos. I also may have somewhere to stay if I go to Sweden sometime...

Wednesday, Greer and I went back down to Primark and I finally replaced my combat boots. I could finally feel rocks through the sole when I walked, and fair enough seeing as I pretty much wore them non-stop through Melbourne's winter/spring/what we got of summer, and the whole time we've been here. Primark had so many variations! The pair I got - just plain and black - unfortunately had a dud zip but I got them for $9 (down from £12) because it was the only pair left in my size. I'm a size 4 here, so weird. There were these reeeally cute heeled boots kinda similar but I didn't buy. Still want to though. Will post a picture soon, then you can tell me whether they're worth it for £18.


Caitlin was 'on call' last Thursday, something all the boarding gaps have to do once every fortnight. If Sister needs any prescriptions filled or someone to take a sick girl to hospital it's our job. So I went down with Caitlin to collect some prescriptions from the pharmacy, which just happens to be opposite Primark. Didn't buy anything though, and then we had to walk back up the hill. Really getting over all the uphill and stairs now. My legs truly hate me. We also had our doctor's appointments with the local nurse just to register ourselves, which added another half-walk up and down the hill. Apparently my body fat is low for my age. Obviously all the walking has turned all my fat to muscle. Clearly. (And now all the food has changed it back again.)

I have barely taken any photos since a bit after New Years because really not much has been happening. I was so exhausted at the end of our first full working week though. Friday night after dinner, we went to our respective living quarters, got a bit dressed up, and headed over to the flat, where we drank 'lemonade' and played 'card' games (but actually, we did play with cards). Then we very 'soberly' walked down the hill to a pub which Izzy had recommended (she went away for the weekend so we had no-one who was experienced in High Wycombe to guide us) called Yates. It was pretty empty when we got there at what, 10pm or something? But by around midnight there was a good d-floor happening and we all had fun. We got a big taxi back up the hill, Janet and I went up to the gap flat for a while with the teaching gaps while Caitlin and Greer went back to their houses because they had to work the next morning. We possibly watched an episode of HIMYM before heading back to our own houses.

After lunch on Saturday, we had a bit of a pampering sesh for all the Highlands girls. I made some facial mixtures for which Amanda had found recipes - honey, yoghurt and banana; oats and water; and cucumber and yoghurt. I spent a couple of hours spooning these quite thin, runny products onto 20 girls' faces and having them squirm every time it touched their faces and complain about how gross it felt. Amanda did the girls' nails in crazy colours and set up a couple of foot baths, which I didn't get a go in. Hmph. Speaking of nails, I'm reeeally trying to stop my nasty habit.

On Saturday night, the girls had their disco which was slightly reminiscent of the night before for me. I had already been wearing my Lady Gaga top and shiny blue skirt all day but I definitely looked like I'd dressed up for the occasion when I took off my cardi, which is a little awkward. Did a little bit of dancing, very fun with 10 year olds. They all had glow sticks and David was dancing with all the girls. He is seriously that cool.

Unfortunately as the girls were getting ready to go to bed, a couple of them started to feel really sick and I got about 20 knocks on my door during the night, both before AND after they had been sick. Since then, a LOT of Highlands has been really ill ('poorly') and it hasn't been a very nice atmosphere this whole week. Trying to avoid also getting sick has actually been pretty successful although Caitlin felt crap a few days ago, and I was feeling weird every time I ate for a while. I also had a headache for a couple of days before this whole thing started.

We went and organised our bank accounts on Monday, no special things but at least our money can go somewhere now (yay, money!)... hopefully we get paid soon! And we're also getting more than we were told we would last year, bonus.

I was on call on Tuesday and had to take a girl from another house down to the doctor's at lunchtime, so when I came back and ate lunch it was the first time I hadn't eaten it with at least Caitlin, Janet and Greer. We all watched some HIMYM after that and ate chocolate spread and then Janet and I were going to go for a walk but I got a call from Sister and had to go and get some more prescriptions done. So Janet came with me and we wandered through Primark again while we waited. We still got our walk but we were going to walk through the cemetery which looked so sunny and green and it was a bit disappointing not exploring it a bit more.

Yesterday we realised properly that our first EXEAT weekend (all the boarders go home) was on and realised we should try and find some accommodation in London. After failing miserably, we decided we're just going to do a couple of day trips on 2 of Friday, Saturday or Sunday. We'll spend part of the other day (probably Sunday) going to see a movie in High Wycombe and exploring the town a little bit more. We're not sure how many will be going, but at least for tomorrow, Friday, it'll be us 4 boarding gaps, since we have the day off. Hopefully the others will come on Saturday.

FORGOT! Rose arrived on Sunday! Caitlin and Georgie went out early to the airport on Sunday with David. We made her stay awake till 7pm just like we had to. Unfortunately after her first day of work on Monday she spent the night being sick. Not sure if she got what the Highlands girls have, but it seems likely, as well as the fact that she was jetlagged and whatnot.

I will try and start posting more regularly; trying to remember things that happened a week and a half ago is too much strain on my brain.

Couple of little notes:
I'm reading Matilda atm (haven't read either of the books you gave me Mum & Dad, but hoping that some kids books will get me into other stuff), because we were reading it to the girls at bedtime and I just decided I wanted to. It's a great read, don't think I've seen/read it since primary school.
Even without eating any crap food I buy, there are so many homemade sweets. I'm eating salad with every lunch/dinner, but then we have desert at lunchtime, and the snacks the girls get after school are so good. Currently we have leftover Flapjack (oats, honey, fruit) which is so tasty, we ate so much yesterday; plus meringues and rocky road, which looks so amazing but I can't eat because of the marshmallows. Probably for the best actually.
I really feel like I need to go for a long run, but I would have no idea where to actually go - I definitely would want to start on flat ground, it has been a looong time since I last ran. I also don't have runners, and not sure if I even have the motivation. As always.
Hopefully will still be able to work out some way of Skyping, maybe on the other girls' computers...

Hope Melbourne is good, I miss you all!

1 comment:

Aurora said...

finally!!!
wonderful darls - you make me more jealous with every post. I really REALLY wanna come over mid year... we'll see. Love you, miss youxxx